It wasn’t too long ago where the only teeth straightening option was traditional metal braces. I remember having braces as a teenager and while it wasn’t too bad, it wasn’t ideal either! There was a reasonable amount of pain involved, and a lot of maintenance and cleaning to ensure all the plaque and food particles was removed to avoid any staining. I had quite a severe overbite during my childhood so I was determined to have straight teeth and would follow my orthodontist’s instructions very closely. After 9 months of treatment, my teeth were finally straight and I had a healthy and confident smile!
Orthodontic treatment has vastly evolved over the last decade and today there are a range of discreet and comfortable treatment options available. One of these options is Invisalign which uses a series of clear, removable aligners which resemble a super thin mouthguard to shift your teeth into the desired position. As opposed to traditional metal braces, Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible to those around you which means you can undertake orthodontic treatment with very few people even realising it!
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign uses advanced 3D software to design a series of aligners which move your teeth into the desired position. Each aligner is substituted every week or two with a new set of aligners to continue the treatment process which slowly and gradually straightens your teeth. Invisalign aligners are essentially orthodontically moulded trays which fit snugly over your teeth and are specifically designed for your teeth.
Invisalign works in a similar fashion to braces through the bone remodelling process whereby pressure is applied to the teeth to shift them into the ideal position. Instead of tightening braces though, Invisalign applies pressure to your teeth when you begin a new set of aligners. Studies have indicated that Invisalign is just as effective as traditional metal braces and the costs are roughly the same.
What are the advantages of using Invisalign?
Being the most advanced clear aligner system in the world, Invisalign has a plethora of advantages over traditional metal braces and other treatment options, including:
- Better oral health – Instead of having metal brackets stuck to your teeth which makes cleaning your mouth difficult, Invisalign aligners can be easily removed when eating and brushing your teeth. This allows patients to effortlessly maintain good oral health even whilst undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Confident smile – Unlike sporting metal braces, Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible to people around you. This allows patients to smile with confidence and not be affected by lower self-esteem which is a common issue for braces patients. Plus, you’ll clearly notice a significant difference with your teeth in just a few months.
- Maintain an active lifestyle – Fewer orthodontic appointments are needed with Invisalign so you can maintain an active lifestyle with minimal disruptions. If you have a special celebration coming up, Invisalign aligners can easily be removed so you can always put the aligners back in your mouth once the event has finished.
- Successful results – Studies have revealed that Invisalign is just as effective at straightening teeth as traditional metal braces, however they’re far more comfortable and convenient. The additional benefits of maintaining good oral health makes a significant difference to the end results.
- Reduction in treatment time – Invisalign is commonly used together with AcceleDent technology which reduces treatment times by as much as 50%. AcceleDent is a small device which gently vibrates your jawbone and the roots of your teeth to reduce any discomfort and accelerate the bone remodelling process.
As you can see, there are many benefits of using Invisalign as opposed to traditional metal braces. Patients can now enjoy comfortable and discreet orthodontic treatment that improves oral health and self-esteem and doesn’t interfere with the patient’s active lifestyle. The only drawback to Invisalign is that not all orthodontic clinics offer this kind of treatment and it’s not suitable for very severe orthodontic issues.
Clear Invisible Braces offers all new patients a free initial consultation including free clinical photos, X-rays, and digital impressions. To discover if you’re a suitable candidate for Invisalign, simply get in touch with their staff to schedule an appointment. For more information, phone 07 5689 1225.